Saturday, February 10, 2007

Chapter 14: Union Station

In case you are wonderin' what is going on with this post....click here.

In Chapter 14 Joe Fiorito takes a look at what brought him to "The Big Smoke," "Hogtown," "T Dot" or, in other words, "Toronto". Joe came looking for employment and a brighter future.

Joe's reasoning was just like why I was headed to New York City. I headed to New York City after trying to get my teaching in Ontario. Ontario simply had too many English and History teachers for High School and too few students needing teachers. This was because the year I finished teacher's college, the provincial government eliminated OAC (grade 13) which meant a whole set of teachers across Ontario were thrown out of work. The increasing growth in the number of students didn't offset the loss of a full grade of students.

I put in applications with Toronto, Durham, York and Peel region school boards, and had a few nibbles (read: interviews) from York, but didn't get a job offer. So I took a job as a part time church caretaker for a year. Then came my job interview with New York City and off I went to the big city of New York to hopefully have a brighter future. But this didn't happen as this post will show.

Now I'm working for a growing merchandising company back in Toronto. I wouldn't never give this job up because I feel like I'm part of a team that is pulling for each other through no matter what! It's nice to be part of a team!

So just like Fiorito, I left Toronto and came back (read this chapter to see what I mean) for a good career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts