Saturday, April 03, 2010

No Earth Hour for Me!

This year I proudly didn't participate in Earth Hour 2010 last Saturday night.  But I didn't go overboard like David Menzies did in protest as the Toronto Sun Columnist Joe Warmington wrote in today's paper:

I loved the gall of David “Menzoid” Menzies, who last week observed goofy Earth Hour by lighting up his Richmond Hill home with movie studio lights and a rented Batman-style spotlight. Some green lefties actually protested at his house like bugs attracted to the light. There will be more next year because he has actually started a small movement to be called Light Hour, where people will turn on their lights while the environmental millionaires sit in the dark.

No, I didn't light up candles or turned on my flashlights either.  I merely went about my business as per normal on a Saturday night.

Why didn't I participate?

Simple, I participate on a daily basis to the earth.  Every single light bulb in my apartment is compact flourecscent (CFL), and the power bar to my Nintendo WII, DVD player and television is hooked into a light switch which sits in the "off position" until it is is used. For heating I ensure the curtains are open during the day to catch the warm sun when needed and closed when not needed.  I only turn on my energy efficient window air conditioner during the summer for bits at a time when needed.  When going to the store I bring at least one of the cornicopia reusable canvas bags so I don't get a plastic bag.  If I happen to forget a canvas bag I ensure the plastic bag I do bring home is used as a trash can liner.   Speaking of shopping, I only buy what I need and very rarely do I go browsing.

All this plus my efforts to reduce, reuse and recycle.

I believe the Earth doesn't deserve one hour a year, I believe it deserves something more everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts